Thursday, May 23, 2013

Compassion Homeschool

A couple of years ago our family decided that we would sponsor a child through Compassion International.  There are so many things that I LOVE about this organization.  The more I learned about their commitment to helping children in poverty---not just by providing them a meal or two, but by really changing their lives, the more hooked I became.

We sponsor a little boy in Rwanda.  We do many thing to try to teach our children about helping others, but this sponsorship is so meaningful, because it is personal to them.  They know our child by name.  They know about his family.  We read letters from him, as well as from his pastor and his mother.  We know what he likes to eat and that he wants to be a pastor when he grows up.  When we send him money for his birthday, he doesn't buy toys...he buys goats, to help his family.  We know that he has chores...like hauling water for the family.  It has been eye opening and educational for us and for our kids.  We hope we are making half the impact on him that he is making on us.  

By American standards, we don't make a lot of money.  We are a family of 5 living on one teacher's salary.  God has been so gracious and generous to always provide for all of our needs.  So, even though money is tight around here, how could we not extend that same grace and generosity to someone else?  If you have ever considered sponsoring a child, my advice is DO IT.  You will never regret it.  Whatever you have to give up in order to afford it is trivial in comparison to what you will gain.  

So that's my plug for sponsoring a child through Compassion.  The other reason I'm writing this blog is because I have lots of Homeschooling friends, and I just found the coolest thing on Compassion's web-site.  They have lesson plans especially for homeschool families!  I am so excited to start these with my kids.  Teaching my children compassion for the poor/less fortunate is a constant battle.  Where we live we are surrounded by so much...they think they have it bad because we won't buy them a WiiU AND an Xbox...they just can't comprehend what real poverty looks like.  So, I am really excited to do these lessons with my kids.  I haven't started them yet, but they look great.  You know what would be really cool is to do these lessons and sponsor a child as a part of your home school.  ;-)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make me happy! :-)