Saturday, December 18, 2010

Sopapilla Cheesecake

I always see recipes on blogs with step by step directions and pictures included.  I guess these are for the culinary-challenged.  Anyway, it makes my little recipe posts look a little sad, so I thought I'd give the whole step by step picture thing a go in this post.  Besides, all the cool bloggers are doing it.  This is probably one of the simplest recipes in the world, so if you actually NEED pictures to make it...you are probably in need of some serious kitchen help.  Really, I simply found myself bored on a Saturday afternoon, and this is what happens when my husband and oldest are gone for the day.

I thought you might appreciate this recipe...it's not my original recipe...several people have given me recipes and if you search google for sopapilla cheesecake you'll find a bazillion entries.  But, it occurred to me that someone out there in blog world may be unaware there is such a thing...and therefore, not know you should google it...so here it is.

This may seem like an odd Christmas recipe, if you're not from Texas.  But, in Texas, it is very common to have a fiesta (spanish for eat a lot of awesome food until you have to unbutton your pants) on Christmas Eve.  We usually have tamales, along with a variety of other Tex-Mex food...and wassail.  I'm not sure how wassail fits into the Fiesta theme, but it makes my sister in-law loopy and we get to laugh at her, so we do it anyway.  I don't think my sister in-law reads my blog, but I guess we'll find out now!

For all you non-Texans (I am so sorry), sopapilla is spanish for awesome awesomeness.  (and the two l's are pronounced like a Y...don't pronounce them like l's...you'll just sound silly)  It is a wholesome dish that combines the 4 major food groups, sugar, butter, cream cheese and crescent rolls.  And, it only has a million or so calories per serving.

Here's what you need:

Imagine that there is another can of crescent rolls in this picture...being the novice that I am, I didn't think to take this picture until I had already opened one of the cans

First, preheat the oven...don't forget or you'll have to stand around later and wait for it to heat up.

Then, spray a 9x13 pan with cooking spray...I did not take a picture of this, I hope that doesn't mess anyone up.

Next, unroll one can of crescent rolls into the pan.  Press the seams together and spread it out so it covers the bottom of the pan...like so:

Then, console, or bribe the fussy toddler, so she will release her vice grip on your legs.
There are many ways to do this, but I used cupcakes.  



Now, you'll want to beat together the cream cheese, sugar and vanilla.


It will be very sticky at first, so I use my cookie dough attachments for my mixer.
I'm glad you brought up the subject of mixers.  If Santa is reading this, I would REALLY love a stand mixer for Christmas.

See what I mean....sticky:


It gets better though...just keep mixing.  Don't burn out your motor though...if it starts to smell, that's a bad sign.


much better

Now, spread it on top of your layer of crescent rolls.  By the way, here's a handy tip...you may want to buy 3 cans of crescent rolls, because you'll be able to smell their lovely buttery smell while you're making this, and then you will want crescent rolls.  And, if you only bought 2 cans, you will be sad.


Next, top this with another roll of crescent rolls.  Can I just say that any recipe with not 1, but 2 cans of crescent rolls, is going to be awesome.  I'm pretty sure crescent rolls are a symbol of God's love for us.


Again, pinch the seams together and play with it until it covers the whole pan...a little trickier this time since there is a layer of cream cheese underneath.  It doesn't have to be perfect though...you really can't mess this up.

Now, the grand finale...melt the butter and pour it on top.

Do you think there will be butter in heaven?  I think yes.


Sprinkle on the cinnamon and sugar...

Try not to lick this

Then, put it in the oven for 30 minutes.  (no picture here either, sorry.)

And wha-la (ha...that's the first time I've ever written out wha-la...I hope I spelled it correctly)

Awesome Awesomeness Cheesecake


Now, here's the recipe...without pictures.  If you're like me, you've skipped all that other nonsense and come straight here.  I appreciate your efficientness.  Is that a word?

Sopapilla Cheesecake:

2 cans crescent rolls
2 8oz blocks of cream cheese, room temperature
1 1/2 c. sugar, divided
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 stick of real butter, melted

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
Grease a 9x13" pan
-Unroll and press 1 can of crescent rolls into the pan.  Pinch the seams together.
-Blend cream cheese, 1 cup of sugar and vanilla
-Spread over the crescent rolls in the pan
-Top with 2nd can of crescent rolls, pinch the seams together
-Pour butter over the top.
-Mix remaining sugar with cinnamon.  Sprinkle over the top
-Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes












No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make me happy! :-)