Thursday, December 9, 2010

Catching Up...

I've been really busy since Thanksgiving.  I've been very tired lately and couldn't figure out why, but upon review it might have something to do with the fact that I have had 2 sick kids that couldn't/wouldn't sleep, 4 doctor's appointments...some for them, and some for me...I'm planning 3, yes 3 parties right now and getting ready for Christmas.

The kids were both sick last week.  Aidan missed 3 days of school, and had a ton of make-up work.  Second grade has certainly changed since I was in school.  Aidan is doing really well in school.  He excels in math and reading.  I've noticed lately that he is growing in maturity and responsibility too...probably because he's about to turn 8!  I'm really not sure how that is possible, but I guess there's nothing I can do about it.  I've tried to strike a deal with him to turn 5 instead of 8, but he says he would have to go back to Kindergarten and would be the biggest Kindergarten student in the history of the world.  Apparently, that's a problem...so no deal...he's turning 8 whether I like it or not.

Which leads me to 2 of the parties I'm planning.  Tomorrow night Aidan is having a camping party.  We made tent invitations that were pretty cute...not as cute as they could have been if I had more time and resources, but pretty cute nonetheless.  Mark is going to set up our tent in the living room for the kids (everyone cross your fingers that it will fit).  The kids are going to roast hot dogs over the fire pit.  We've planned a treasure hunt with clues to find bags of camping gear, a fishing game, a "feed the bears" game, and a "search and rescue game" in which the kids dive into a tent filled with balloons and try to find prizes.  Yesterday I cut out 50 fish shapes and glued/decorated them for the fishing game.  I also blew up 50 balloons.  Today, I'll be drawing a giant bear...no small feat.  I am creative in a lot of ways...but drawing, eh...not so much.  Luckily, 8 year olds are easily impressed.

I'm also planning Aidan's Christmas, I mean, winter party for next Friday at school.  It amuses me that you can't call it a Christmas party even though Christmas is a federal holiday, and we're not fooling anyone, it's Christmas!  But, whatever, I'll save my rants on the foolishness of political correctness for another time!
For the winter party, we are doing a snowman race, in which the kids use toilet paper, mittens, hats, etc. to dress up someone on their team as a snowman.  We're making reindeer antlers, using outlines of the kids' hands.  Then, we're having Rudolph relay races...the kids have to use vaseline to attach a red circle to their nose and run to the finish line without it falling off.  I think it will be really fun.  I wish I could take credit for these ideas but they came from my friend Nancy.

Ella is really excited about Christmas this year.  She walks around hugging her Christmas presents.  She'll say, "You got a present for ME?  Thank you so much."  I can't wait until she gets to open them.  She also says, "Christmas is going to bring me a pig in a little tea cup!"  She is so cute.

Speaking of Christmas...we are completely finished shopping for our kids.  We just have a few gifts to buy for other people.  I love being able to relax and focus on something besides shopping and crowds.
I've been working on my holiday baking.  We'll be giving baked goods to teachers, neighbors, co-workers etc.  This year, I'm making chocolate chip cookies, peanut butter blossoms, pumpkin bread, white chocolate banana bread, fudge and caramel pecan clusters.  Yum.  I'm adopting the Blue Bell philosophy...eating all I can, and I'll give away the rest.  I saw a church billboard that said, "we come to resemble that which we love."  Which is why I'm starting to resemble a big blob of cookie dough.

Finally, Mark and I have started reading Francis Chan's book, Crazy Love together.  We haven't gotten very far, because most nights we crawl into bed and die of exhaustion, but what we have read is awesome.  We're talking serious awesomeness.  I can tell it's going to be one of those books that changes you.  If you've got some time over the holidays you should get a copy and check it out.

Well, I was going to post some Thanksgiving pictures here today, but since this has turned into the longest rambling post in the history of blogging, I will close now and save the pictures for another day.

3 comments:

  1. I bet the parties will be a BLAST... I teach 3rd grade and still call it Christmas Party in my class to my kids. I know what you mean on that. I would LOVE to have your White Chocolate Banana Bread recipe, it sounds so good. I already have your pumpkin bread one and LOVE it:) Hope you have a good holiday season Jessica with your family!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Candice! I've never tried the white chocolate banana bread before. The recipe is in this month's Country Living. It sounds really good. They actually give just a basic quick-bread recipe and then give several options of what to mix into it.
    Here's the basic recipe:
    3 c. all-purpose flour
    1 Tbsp. baking powder
    2 tsp. salt
    4 lg. eggs
    1 c. whole milk
    6 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted

    You combine your dry ingredients in one bowl. Beat the eggs and milk. Pour the eggs, milk and melted butter into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.

    Then you can mix into it whatever flavors you like. For the White Chocolate banana you do the following:

    Mix together:
    3 very ripe bananas, mashed
    1 c. packed brown sugar
    6 ounces white chocolate, chopped
    1 tsp. vanilla
    1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg

    Then mix this into the bread recipe.

    Cook at 350 degrees. This recipe is to make mini bundt cakes...which you bake for 18-20 minutes, but I think you can make loaves too, just cook longer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I'm going to make the basic recipe and split it in half. I'll make 1/2 of it the white chocolate banana, and the other half bacon-cheddar loaf.
    (you would use 1/2 of the banana/chocolate mix too)

    For the bacon cheddar, (these amts would be for the entire batch of bread dough...1/2 them if you're only making 1/2)
    you combine 8 slices bacon, cooked and chopped, 2 tsp. of fat reserved
    1 c. finely chopped onion
    3 1/2 c. grated sharp cheddar

    In a lg. skillet, heat fat, add onion and cook until soft and translucent; let cool
    Add onion, bacon and 1 1/2 c. cheddar to basicbread dough and stir until combined. Transfer to 4 mini loaf pnas. Sprinkle remaining cheddar on tip.
    Bake @ 350 for 30-35 minutes.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me happy! :-)