Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Resolution

I was very excited last week when I found out that I had won a signed copy of the new book The Resolution for Men.  This book was written as a companion to the new movie, Courageous.  We got the book last night, and it is meant for men, but I couldn't resist taking a peak (I did win it, after all!).  I have not read the whole thing yet, but my initial reaction is that I wish every man that is important to me would read this book.  I think it would encourage them and give them a renewed sense of purpose.  The introduction describes the book as "an unapologetic call for men to live courageously for their faith and for their families."  What I love about what I've read so far is that it emphasizes the importance of fathers.  Our culture has been de-emphasizing that importance for a long time.  Have you watched a kids' TV show lately?  All of the fathers are morons.  I think men will be encouraged to see that, guess what...you are vitally important to the health and well-being of your children.  Even children that grow up with strong, godly mothers, will suffer if there is not a strong presence of their father.  That is not to take away from the importance of mothers, it just shows that maybe God knew what he was doing when he designed the family to have a mother AND a father.  According to the book, kids that grow up without their fathers are 20 times more likely to go to prison!  Girls that grow up without their dad are less secure and more likely to be sexually active as a teenager...often having more babies that don't have dads.  It's a vicious cycle.  Can you imagine the potential revolution in our culture if dads would step back up and take on the roles that were always meant to be theirs in the first place??  There is so much good stuff in this book, I could never detail it all here.  But, what I love is that is encouraging and challenging, with lots of practical things dads can do to take back their leadership role.  It is not a beat down to read, it doesn't leave you feeling discouraged or overwhelmed.

What has me more excited is there is also a Resolution for Women.  It is written by Priscilla Shirer (which is who I won the book from).  She is starting a book study on her blog at the end of this week.  I will be grabbing a copy as soon as I can so I can participate.  Her blog is linked on mine if you want to check it out.  I am excited to read the book.

And, if you need further proof of my rampant, uncontrollable ADD, the reason I was going to post today was to share this verse (which I read in the Resolution book last night):

 If the Arameans are too strong for me, then you shall help me, but if the sons of Ammon are too strong for you, then I will come to help you.  Be strong, and let us show ourselves courageous for the sake of our people and for the cities of our God; and may the Lord do what is good in His sight.  (2 Samuel 10:11-12).


I just loved this verse.  It wasn't a very familiar one to me.  I love the sense of teamwork and the call to be strong and courageous.  There is so much at stake these days, Christians need to work together and be courageous...for our communities and for our families.  Anyway, it spoke to me, and I thought it might speak to you too.

Have a great week...and let me know if you check out either of the books I mentioned...I would love to hear your take on them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make me happy! :-)