Thursday, September 1, 2011

I Hope:

Dear Aidan, Ella and New Lovely Baby that is yet to be named,

I hope that you grow up to be very happy...and not the "I have a great career/family/clothes/toys/house" kind of happy that you see on TV.  But the kind of happy that is not dependent on circumstances, and certainly not dependent on material things.  I hope you have that deep, peaceful joy that you sense in some people...a quiet spirit that draws people to you and to Christ.  I hope you have the kind of happiness that comes from knowing, without doubt, that no matter what hand life deals, you are resting in the arms of your creator.

"I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty.  I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.  I can do everything through him who gives me strength."  Philippians 4:12-13


I hope that you love people.  Really, really love people.  Nothing would make me more proud of you than to see you devote your lives to loving each other, and to loving other people.  It is why we are here.  As you get older you will see that people spend their lives searching for happiness and fulfillment.  They are constantly running to and fro trying to make themselves feel good.  It is all in vain.  I will tell you a secret, my sweet babies, you will never, ever feel as fulfilled as you will when you are showing love to others.

"A new command I give you:  Love one another.  As I have loved you, so you must love one another.  By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another."  Luke 13:34-35


I hope that you will be totally sold out for Christ.  I hope you follow hard after him.  What adventures you will have!  He is never boring!  When following Him, there is always a miracle, or a surprise just around the corner.  Everything else you work to obtain in this life will pass away.  It will wind up in a dump some day or a garage sale.  What you do for Christ will last for an eternity.  There is nothing sweeter than to know God and to be known by Him.  Sometimes, he will ask you to do hard things...things the world won't understand...things you won't understand.  Follow Him.  You will be so glad you did.  Don't live the way our culture tells you to live.  Choose the path less taken!  You won't be sorry.

"But whatever was to my profit I now consider loss for the sake of Christ.  What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things.  I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ--the righteousness that comes from God and is by faith."  Philippians 3:7-9


I hope that you won't believe the lies the world tells you...the ones that say you have to look a certain way or be a certain way, or have certain things to be acceptable.  I pray that you live for an audience of one.  God is the only person you have to please...not your friends, not me, not your dad...only Him.  Be men and women after God's heart.  That is how I hope you measure your success.

"The Lord does not look at the things man looks at.  Man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart."  1 Samuel 16:7


Finally, I hope that some day you will be listening to a sermon, or singing a worship song, or reading your Bible and you will come across a loving attribute of God that speaks to your heart.  And I hope that you will think to yourselves, "yeah, I get that.  I understand that kind of love because that is how my mom and dad loved us."  I hope we have been good examples to you of loving parents, so that you will always be able to grasp the character of God.  I know we haven't been perfect, like God, but I hope we've given you a good start into knowing your Heavenly Father who loves you.

And one last thought:

"Rejoice in the Lord always.  I will say it again:  Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all.  The Lord is near.  Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.  Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things.  Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me--put it into practice.  And the God of peace will be with you."  Philippians 4:4-9


Love,
Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make me happy! :-)