Thursday, April 1, 2010

Easter

Tomorrow is Good Friday.  How are you celebrating?  I'm really trying to balance Easter bunnies and eggs with the message of the cross and what that means for us.  I want my kids to have happy spring memories of coloring Easter eggs and searching for them with their cousins.  Those are some of my best memories.  But, I also want them to start thinking about why our family really celebrates Easter.  When you really think about the magnitude of the sacrifice that was made, it seems silly to celebrate with eggs and rabbits.  So, we are trying to find a good balance.  We will color eggs tomorrow night or Saturday, depending on when we have time.   We'll have an Easter egg hunt and brunch with friends on Saturday...and another Easter egg hunt and lunch with family on Sunday. But here are some of the things we're doing to remember and celebrate the sacrifice, and the resurrection that forever changed the course of history and the destinies of our souls.  I would love to hear your ideas too.

Good Friday will be busy.  We'll have a service at church.  The kids will take part in a passover dinner.  We will have communion and a really moving service in which people share their "cardboard testimonies."  In case, like me, you've never heard of "cardboard testimonies" check out this link...it is awesome.
cardboard testimonies

To teach Aidan the meaning of what happened on the cross, we are going to do this family night activity on Friday before church:  Good Friday Family Night.

On Saturday night, we'll be making Easter Story cookies.  I posted the recipe here.

Of course we'll go to church at Eagle's View on Sunday.  I'll work with the kids that morning as they present the grace message, and then go to church myself.

Wow...it's going to be a busy weekend!

I'd love to hear other ideas for Easter.

Easter pictures coming soon!  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make me happy! :-)