Thursday, November 4, 2010

Autumn Beef Stew

I have really enjoyed the crisp weather we have had lately.  It's a real treat for a Texan to get some "real" fall weather.  Although, I love the chilly weather occasionally, I could never live where it is really cold all the time.  I would stay home and eat all day every day!  Does chilly weather make anyone else want to cook, and bake and eat??
The other night, I had a craving for tasty soup, but had not really planned that into our menu.  So, I rummaged through the freezer and pantry, mixed together what I found and hoped for the best.  This is what I came up with...it was a hit with the family.  Maybe your family can enjoy it on one of these chilly nights too!

3 Tbsp. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 pound beef stew meat, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 can stewed tomatoes
1 8 oz can tomato paste
2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. dried oregano
3 c. hot water
5 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
6 medium carrots, sliced
1 medium zucchini, sliced
1 yellow squash, sliced

Put flour, salt, pepper, and stew meat into large resealable plastic bag and toss to coat.
Brown meat in olive oil in a dutch oven or soup pot.
Stir in tomatoes, tomato sauce, vinegar, Worcestershire, garlic and oregano.
Bring to a boil.
Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1 hour.

Stir in the remaining ingredients.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until vegetables are tender.

We ate it with some yummy cornbread...a nice crusty french bread would have been good too.  YUM!

1 comment:

  1. I made stew and cornbread that night too! I love having homemade soup on cold nights!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me happy! :-)