Friday, November 2, 2012

Texas History

When I started thinking about home schooling Aidan, I had to start thinking about curriculum.  What I discovered is that you could easily spend a small fortune.  We don't have a small fortune.  So, I scoured the internet and book stores trying to put together the best curriculum I could that was also easy on my pocketbook.  Come August, I had everything figured out except History.  There is a lot of great curricula out there, but I really wanted to teach Aidan Texas history.  In public school he would be learning Texas history.  Plus, it was one of my favorite things to teach when I was teaching 4th grade.  We were low on funds, but since I had taught Texas History for years, and took a few college classes on Texas history, I thought, "Hey, I can make my own curriculum."  Well, that has turned out to be quite a bit of work!  It is fun, and Aidan says History is his favorite subject this year, so I think it has been worth it.  So, since I've put all this work in, I thought I would make it available to other home schooling families as well.  So far, I have written studies on the regions and symbols of Texas and on Native Texans.  I am in the process of writing one on Explorers and Missions. 

These studies can be self directed.  You gather all the books you can find on the subject at the Library, and the student uses the books and the links provided in the study to complete the exercises.  There are lots of crafts.  You can make a salt map of Texas and a lap book if you wish.  It is targeted at 4th graders, but could easily be adapted for other ages.  I wrote it with home school students in mind, but I would have loved to have something like this for my students to use when I was teaching public school as well.  They could do it in groups using books/textbooks or in the computer lab.

So, if you could use something like this, please check it out.  I have the first chapter...Texas Symbols and Regions all ready to go.  I am putting the finishing touches on Native Texans.  It will be ready in a day or two.  Explorers and Missions will follow soon, with other installments coming as Aidan and I get to them in our studies.
Check back for the future installments. I am adding a tab at the top of the blog for the curriculum.

 $3.99 
 
Please share this post with anyone (teachers/home schoolers/etc.) that you think might be interested.  Thank you.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make me happy! :-)