Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Tornado Talk

Last night was a little stressful around here.  I had just gotten the kids in their pajamas and was making their bed time snack, when I noticed the cat's tail was 3 times its normal size and he was crying.  Next, I saw that all the hair was standing up on the dog's neck.  It was a little unnerving.  Then, the tornado sirens started going off.  Mark was not home.  So, I stuck the kids in the bathtub, pulled the mattress off of Ella's bed to cover them, then I wrestled the dog into his crate.  I grabbed the flashlight just in time for the electricity to go off.  Mark called.  He was still at school and they had everyone in the hallway.  The kids and I huddled in the bathroom with the flashlight.  Ella was completely unfazed by the whole thing.  Aidan informed her that she should be scared because we could die.  "Really?" she said.  And then, "Ladies and Jigglemen!  It's time for the dance party!"  Completely unfazed.

Aidan was terrified.  I could see it in his face, and I could feel his heart pounding through his chest with my hand.  It reminded me of a time when I was about his age.  There were tornados in the area, so my grandparents, my aunt Teetie, my brother and I ran to the storm cellar.  I remember wishing I had grabbed my Cabbage Patch Doll.  My aunt Teetie stood behind me with her arms around me and commented that she could feel my heart racing.

But, Aidan didn't cry, and he didn't panic.  He did what he always does when he's nervous.  He talked, non-stop.  First, he recited every scientific fact he knows about tornadoes.  Then, he asked me a thousand questions concerning what I know about tornadoes.  Then, he started praying.  He held my hand and prayed for Mark to get home safely.  He prayed for angels to surround our house and keep us safe.  He prayed for his Pawpaw and Nana.  And then more questions.  Here is a sampling of some snippets of conversation from last night:

Aidan:  "What will we do if our house is destroyed?"
Me: "Well, we'll get a new one."
Aidan:  "Where will we live until we get a new one?"
Me:  "Probably with Pawpaw and Nana or in a hotel."

Aidan:  "You better go get all your medicine, just in case.  I don't want you to have to feel bad if something happens."

Ella:  "Can I watch a cartoon now?"

Aidan:  "I guess it won't matter that much if our house is destroyed."
Me:  "No, our joy doesn't come from things."
Aidan:  "Yeah, and if we die, we'll all die together and go to heaven.  And that would be great."

Ella:  "I NEED A SNACK!!!!"

Aidan:  "If there's a tornado while I'm sleeping, you'll come get me, won't you?"
Me:  "Of course."
Aidan:  "I'm glad God put me in  your tummy.  You're the best mommy and you always keep me safe."

Aidan:  "I'm just going to stick close to you, okay?"

Aidan:  "Ella, we have to stay in the bathtub in case there's a tornado!"
Ella:  "What?!?  What the booty?!?"

Aidan:  "Well, most tornadoes do happen in Texas.  And we ARE in Texas."
Me:  "True, we live in Tornado Alley."
Aidan:  "I can't wait until we go to Colorado."

Aidan:  "Does God make tornadoes?"
Me:  "Sort of...the weather conditions make them.  But, God is in control of all that."
Aidan:  "So, technically, he makes them?
Me:  "He allows them.  But don't worry.  God won't let anything happen to us that he won't give us the strength and courage to handle."

Even though it was a stressful night, with tornado sirens going off and on for a couple of hours, reports of hail...some as large as grapefruit all around us, I did get to have some sweet talks with Aidan.  It was good to see how he's maturing and how his faith is growing.  We were very blessed last night.  There were tornado touch downs all around us...in Azle, Saginaw, the Keller area...and a lot of hail and wind damage.  I heard that one tornado touched down just a 1/2 mile from our house.  But, we had no damage...no hail, no tornadoes.  We didn't even get rain.  Just lots of wind, thunder and lightening...and some beautifully frightening cloud formations.  We are so thankful that all of our friends and family are safe, and we are praying for all those affected by the storms.  And, I am so thankful for my thoughtful, deep-thinking, worry-wart oldest child, and my silly, free-spirited, carefree youngest child.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make me happy! :-)