Thursday, June 2, 2011

Three Year Olds and Logic

Sometimes, if I'm desperate, I try to use logic on my 3 year old.  It never works.

Ella has had this problem lately that has Mark and I at our wits' end.  She is refusing to wear a pull-up at night, and she is not consistently dry through the night yet.  We make her put the pull-up on, but sometime in the night, she takes it off.  We're not sure if she's doing this while asleep or awake.  It is a fight every night just to get her to put one on.  She says they itch.  We've tried everything we can think of to get her to put one on and keep it on through the night.  We've had very little success.

So, last night, I thought I would appeal to reason.  If I could just use the right words...say the right thing, she would understand the need for her pull up and happily wear one, right?  Hmmm...not so much.

As she was getting dressed and throwing a fit about wearing a pull up (and after a long time out) I said, "Ella, I need you to be mommy's big helper.  When you don't wear your pull-up I have to wash the sheets, and dry the sheets and put them back on your bed and that's a lot of work for mommy.  So, don't you want to be a big helper and wear your pull-up for mommy?"

"I do!  I do want to be your big helper mommy.  I will help you."

"You will?  You're going to wear your pull up and be my big helper?"

"No.  I'll put the sheets in the washing machine for you, like a big girl."

Ugh.  Thank goodness she's cute.

My Big Helper

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make me happy! :-)