Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Birthdays

I only have a minute to write this morning.  I have to go to my Bible study, and Ella is still in her pajamas...her pajamas, her jacket and her shoes to be exact because we've already been outside jumping on the trampoline this morning.

I wanted to take some time and update the blog.  Seems I haven't been able to settle my mind down enough lately to write anything.  I have been sick, which makes me tired, which makes me behind on everything, which makes me feel scattered and stressed.

I turned 33 last week.  Having a birthday always makes me reflect on my life so far.  What has been impressed upon me the most over my last several birthdays is how eventful my life has been, and how rich.  There have been many ups and downs, highs and lows.  There has been great pain and great love, deep sadness and deep joy.  But, what has always been the same, from as early as I can remember, is God.  He has always been there.  My constant companion, through joy and pain.  And that makes me love Him all the more.  I love the song The Years Go By by Delirious?.  In fact, I listened to it on my birthday...does that make me weird?  Probably.  It was my own private birthday celebration...just me and the One who's been there since I was first knit together in the womb.  If you haven't heard the song, you should look it up.

All of my birthday reflection has left me with a feeling of gratitude and warm affection for my Father...the one who has been there all along, seen my every mistake, rejoiced in my every victory, heard every thought, known all my hidden hopes and insecurities, forgiven me and encouraged me, called me back to Him time and again, been my peace and my joy, blessed me beyond measure, and loved me without fail.  Going forward, I long to know Him more.

Yet I am always with you;
you hold me by my right hand.
You guide me with your counsel, 
and afterward you will take me into glory.
Whom have I in heaven but you?
And earth has nothing I desire besides you.
My flesh and my heart may fail,
but God is the strength of my heart
and my portion forever.
Psalm 73: 23-26

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make me happy! :-)