Thursday, January 27, 2011

Stability of Heart

God and I have been doing some work on my heart lately.  Thanks to a great book by Beth Moore, So Long Insecurity, and more and more time in his word, I feel like I am finally winning a life long battle I've had with insecurity, doubt and fear.  Several people have been surprised to find that I struggle with this.  I guess mine doesn't always present itself in the typical way.  Mine presents itself in rabid perfectionism.  I am crippled into doing nothing because I fear not doing it perfectly.  If you struggle with this too, I highly recommend the book.  It doesn't just teach you about insecurity, it provides some very practical steps to conquer it once and for all.  What it boils down to, is all of my stability and security comes from Him.  It is taking lots of prayer and hiding God's word in my heart, but I have made lots of progress.  This is my current memory verse (I'm going to try to type it from memory!):

He will have no fear of bad news; his heart is steadfast, trusting in the Lord.  His heart is secure, he will have no fear; in the end he will look in triumph on his foes.  Psalm 112: 7-8
(Okay, I had to peek...I need more work on that one!)


I can't wait to look in triumph on this particular foe!

I love this quote too...this was sent to me in Jan Johnson's wisbit last month.  If you would like to subscribe to these you can visit her website.  It is: www.janjohnson.org/wisbits.html

Anyway, I just love this quote from Benedictine monk, Anthony Bloom, that she included in her December email:

"You will find stability at the moment when you discover that God is everywhere, that you do not need to seek Him elsewhere, that He is here, and if you do not find Him here it is useless to go and search for Him elsewhere because it is not Him that is absent from us, it is we who are absent from Him.  This is important because it is only at the moment that you recognize this that you can truly find the fullness of the Kingdom of God in all its richness within you; that God is present in every situation and every place, that you will be able to say:  'So then I shall stay where I am.'"


Much peace, security and stability to you today!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make me happy! :-)