Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Thoughts on the State of the Union

Don't worry, this will not be a political post...I save all my political rantings for Mark and my closest friends, and I know they appreciate it.  Today, I just wanted to share a few observations about the State of the Union last night.

First, I always feel that it is my duty as an American to watch these things.  I like to be well informed.  But, any time I watch any politician speak, I don't feel like I know any more than I did in the beginning.  They tell you all these things that sound GREAT.  But, give no real specifics on how or if any of it can actually happen in reality.  And, last night's was LONG.  Poor John Boehner.  I think he was just about bored to tears...and tears are never far off for him.  How embarrassing would that be to cry during the State of the Union?  Come to think of it, why do they make the VP and the Speaker sit behind the president the whole time?  I hate being on camera...especially when I'm not doing anything but sitting.  You always get hyper aware of every facial expression or twitch.  Heaven forbid your nose itch, or you choke on your own phlegm.  I have to say, I was missing good ole' Nancy Pelosi last night.  She was so entertaining.  She was always doing some weird twitch or excessive weird blinking.

I also started to wonder last night about the wisdom behind having the president, the VP and the Speaker all together like that.  Who is 4th in line?  I should know that, right?  I told Mark, many times, that I did not think they were supposed to all be together like that.  To which he replied, "they always are for this," every time I said it.  I don't think he was hearing me.

The most irritating thing to me about State of the Union Addresses, or really any political address, is all the personal stories.  You know, when they say, "this makes me think of Sally Rogers, from Fort Worth, Texas who was living on the streets with her 4 kids and a 3-legged dog.  Then, I became President and now she lives in a mansion and her dog has been completely healed."  All presidents from both parties do it, and it makes me laugh.  Where do they find these people?  They act like they know them personally and have spent all this time with them.  I don't know this, but I suspect they send out researchers to search these people out, just for their little stories.  Did you see the lady last night?  When Obama started talking about her she looked to the person on her right and said, "that's me!"  Then a few seconds later, she turned to the person on her left and said, "that's me!"  I think we backed that up and watched it about 3 times.  We are easily amused.  I got the feeling that Biden wanted to do the same thing when Obama mentioned him.  He got really excited.  I know he wanted to turn to Boehner and say, "that's me!"

The most interesting thing I found out last night is that both the Department of the Interior AND the Department of Commerce are in charge of Salmon, depending on if they are in fresh water or salt water. I know Obama pointed this out in order to say the government needs to be more streamlined.  But, what I want to know, is why is the government in charge of salmon??  Really?  Do they pay taxes?  Are we protecting their civil rights?  Issuing them passports?  George Washington would be choking on his wooden teeth.

After the speech, all the "analysis" starts.  This really drives me crazy.  I think there should be a rule that no one is allowed to talk about the speech for one hour...give people some time to process it on their own, instead of telling them what they are supposed to think about it.  Maybe it's the teacher and the mom in me, but sometimes when all that garbage is on, I want to ring a bell and say, "excuse me!  this is a no talking time.  Everyone do your OWN work."

I think the State of the Union should have more facts...like, this is how much we're spending, this is how much we're bringing in.  This is how the war is going, this is how much we spent on education, and this is how it turned out.  Instead, it's a whole lot of this is what I want to do, this is what I think we should do, with only a fact or two thrown in here or there.  Our founding fathers were not being creative or catchy when they named it the State of the Union.  They didn't consult advertisers or PR people to help them find a serious sounding name.  They called it the State of the Union, because the president is supposed to tell Congress and the American People the State of the Union.  Instead, it's like a sports highlights reel of all the things the politicians want to pat themselves on the back about.  That is only my opinion of course...but I'm a facts and numbers girl.  Just give it to me straight and save reelection speeches for the campaign trail.

Finally, I will agree with Obama, I am so glad we live in a country where we get to argue and fight and bicker about politics.  That means we still have a choice!  Go USA!!  Whatever state the union is in, I'd rather live here than anywhere else on earth!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make me happy! :-)