Thursday, April 21, 2011

Where Did We Go Wrong?

I am really embarrassed to tell you this story.  I'm sure it reveals some flaw in my parenting.  Maybe it is a flaw in Mark's parenting.

I will preface this story by saying that we teach our kids about the real meaning of Easter.  We do activities, we read books, we take them to church.  Aidan and I have discussed the fall of man and God's plan for redemption many, many times.

So, when I asked Aidan today, "why do we celebrate Easter?"  I really wasn't expecting the answer that I got.

At first, he said, "Jesus' birthday!"  That's not too bad...I can see how you could get Christmas and Easter confused.  "No, that's Christmas I told him.  What did Jesus do for us?"

And that is when the whole thing went wrong, terribly wrong.  I know he knows this, so I was totally unprepared for what followed.

Aidan thought for a minute and then answered, "He killed Adam and Eve?"

Where did we go wrong?  Seriously?

I will say, after a little while, he answered, "He died for us."  But, that first answer just about killed me.

Wow.  Please don't tell my mother.  I will never hear the end of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make me happy! :-)