Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Happy 3rd Birthday Ella

Three years ago, my precious daughter was born.  She was beautiful.  After 5 years of being the mom of a boy, I wasn't sure I was cut out for a daughter.  But, it was love at first sight.
"Hmm, wonder which finger I can wrap him around?"


Ella is an odd mix of girly-ness and tomboy.  She loves dolls and pink, but also wants to be just like her brother.  She is equal parts sassy and sweet...sugar and spice for sure!  She is just as comfortable playing monsters and dragons and cars with her brother, as she is playing baby dolls and dancing in her ballerina skirt.  


"As soon as I get my arms unstuck...this hat has got to go."
Ella is always ready to have fun.  She lacks all the first child seriousness and caution of her older brother.  She has no sense of danger, or any idea that there may be some things she is too little to do.  She approaches life like it is one big party.  She'll try anything and talk to anyone.

"Dear God, thank you for giving me so many people to boss around."

But, as sweet and fun-loving as she can be in one minute, she can be fighting mad the next.  And when she's mad, you better settle in for a fight, because giving up is an unheard of concept.  She won't give in, she won't quit, no matter what the consequence.  She will fight to the bloody end.  It makes for some frustrating toddler times, but I know it will serve her well in the world in which she lives.
I could kiss those cheeks all day.

She's an absolutely beautiful child.  With wild blonde hair, big blue eyes, and a smile that will brighten your whole day.  But, don't tell her she's pretty (see "Fighting mad" above).  She doesn't like it.  "I'm not pretty.  I'm Ella Claire!"  Every day when she gets dressed, she instructs me to find clothes that are "Not pretty."  I'm not sure exactly what makes something "Not pretty," but I know for sure, skirts are out.  Unless it's a cowgirl skirt.  

Aidan inspects his new baby sister...they were fast friends.

At 3 years old, she is learning to ride a tricycle.  She is fully potty trained, except for an occasional accident, usually at the most inopportune time.  She LOVES to dance and sing.  She will play with horses all day.  Every night when we put her to bed, she says, "I'm going to wake up the sun and then we will go outside and play in the snow!  and make snow angels and have snowball fights!"  She says "Bump-a-loaf" instead of "buffalo."  She says "Cause-Be" instead of "because," and "pup-cakes" instead of "cupcakes."  She is crazy about every kind of animal and her brother.  She calls all of her little girl friends her sisters.  She loves to read stories and play in her room.  She is learning to write her name, and she can already spell it.  She has a pretty serious cartoon addiction and a MAJOR sweet tooth.  She likes to tell me that we are girls, but "bubba and daddy are stinky boys."  She gives great hugs, and she dances when she sees one of us.  She could win the world title of a stink eye competition.  She captures the attention of everyone we see.  

Since Ella came into our lives, we laugh a lot more, we shake our heads a lot more, we have a lot more tea parties, and we sleep a lot less!  She is our sassy Ella Claire, and we love her to pieces.  

Ella, we adore and cherish you.  You are beautiful, whether you like it or not.  I know God has something uniquely special planned for you.  I am so honored and blessed to be your mommy.

Be "clothed with strength and dignity...laugh at the days to come...Many women do noble things, but you surpass them all.  Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised."  (from Proverbs 31)








No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make me happy! :-)