Monday, March 21, 2011

Monday Motivation: The Hiding Place

I was going to post all of my spring break pictures today, but I have not gotten around to loading them on the computer yet.  We spring break-ed until the very last minute, getting home from our trip with only enough time to eat dinner and get ready for bed.  We had a great time.  I have a renewed appreciation for how wonderful my children are and how much I enjoy spending time with them.  I was truly sad to watch Aidan walk into school today.  I sure do miss him during the school year.

Since I didn't get the pictures loaded, I wanted to tell everyone about the book I read over the break.  I finally got around to reading Corrie Ten Boom's, The Hiding Place.  If I had to describe this book with one word, it would be:  wow.  What a powerful, miracle-working God we serve.  The way that God led and sustained Corrie and her sister while they were helping Jews hide and throughout their life in a Nazi concentration camp was awe inspiring.  If you are ever struggling in your faith, grab a copy of this book and prepare to read it in one sitting, because you won't want to put it down.

There were several points in the book that have motivated me in my life and in my faith, and I have listed them here for you...so you can be motivated too.  (But, don't just settle for the points I've drawn out...seriously read the book!  It's amazing.)

1.  Being a parent is a job to be taken seriously.  We don't know what our children are going to face in their lives.  We can't be accidental parents.  We have to parent with vision...and that vision should include teaching them to live and breathe for God...that is their only hope.  So many times when Corrie and her sister were facing unbelievable circumstances, they drew on the things their parents had taught them...self-sacrifice, having no prejudice toward race or age or social status, hiding God's word in their hearts.

2.  You can't accomplish #1 if you are not daily seeking God and following Christ.  Corrie's parents LIVED their faith.  They took in orphans, cared for the sick, shared their home, they didn't speak ill of anyone, they were known throughout the community for their kindness, and they were respected by everyone, even those that did not share their faith.  They made hardly any money and were just barely able to scrape by, yet they shared everything they had.  Their example prepared their daughters (and their son, who also died trying to protect Jews) for the good that God had called them to do...and many people are now in Heaven because of it.

3. We are so fortunate to have access to the Word of God.  Under the Nazis, Bibles were not allowed in the concentration camps, and people were killed and persecuted for reading it.  However, by miraculous intervention (read it!) they were able to sneak one into the camp.  They led daily reading and teaching of the word of God in the concentration camp, and many came to faith in God during this horrible time.  We need to be in His word daily...hiding it in our hearts...we are not guaranteed to always have such free access to it.

4.  We should not be afraid to do what is right.  If more people had stood up for what was right, the holocaust would have been much less devastating.  Corrie's father was arrested for hiding Jews, but when they saw how old he was (in his 80s) he was told he could go home if he would promise not to do it again.  He replied, "If I go home today, tomorrow I will open my door again to any man in need who knocks."  That takes courage.  He died in that Nazi prison.  But, I know his reward was great.

5.  God gives us what we need, just when we need it, and not a moment too soon...and never a moment late.  He is a good father.  He is our provider.  There are many incredible stories in the book of God providing strength, discernment and even vital medicine in miraculous ways.

6.  God still works miracles and speaks to his people.  If you doubt that, read the book!  :)

7.  God uses all of the happenings in our life to prepare us for the work he has for us to do.  Corrie ten Boom said, " Childhood scenes rushed back at me out of the night, strangely close and urgent.  Today I know that such memories are the key not to the past, but to the future.  I know that the experiences of our lives, when we let God use them, become the mysterious and perfect preparation for the work He will give us to do."  What work has God given you to do?  How has he already prepared you to do it?

8. and finally, I learned, that no matter what is to come, God is my hiding place...whatever comes, he will sustain me and protect me until it is my turn to go home.


As you can tell, I loved the book.  I read it in one day...I couldn't put it down.

Spring break pictures are coming soon!  Have a great week.

2 comments:

  1. Reading your blog is good for the soul. I don't get to read them all, but when I do, I feel inspired. In today's, I especially connected with the part about parenting with vision. So true!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Amy...that means a lot.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me happy! :-)