Saturday, February 5, 2011

Texas Snow

I love Texas snow, although I'm sure Jerry Jones does NOT love it, and that makes me love it a little more. Is that wrong?  Anyway, I love Texas snow, because it is so rare.  We're lucky to get it once a year, if at all.  We're more likely to get slush than snow.  But, when we get real snow, it is such a treat.  Not only is it rare, but it's fleeting.  It never lasts long.  It's not unusual for Texas snow to be here in the morning, and melt by the afternoon.  So, whenever we get this treat, we take full advantage.  We get outside as soon as possible, make snowmen and snow angels and have snowball fights.  It is all the more joyful, because we don't know when we'll be able to do it again.  Snow is a gift...at least in Texas.  Mark and I stood watching the snow come down the other night...the big beautiful flakes that I love.  It was so peaceful.  I had this sense of God saying, "shhhh" to my spirit.  Snow quiets the world and covers all the ugliness and grime with pure, perfect sparkling white.  Sort of like what Jesus does for us.  That is why I love snow.  I just wanted to bask in that moment...take in the beauty and the peacefulness of it.  God never ceases to amaze me with beauty and awesome power.



 No one can mistake that voice--His word thundering so wondrously, his mighty acts staggering our understanding.  He orders the snow, "Blanket the earth!" and the rain, "Soak the whole countryside!"  No one can escape the weather--it's there.  And no one can escape from God.  Wild animals take shelter, crawling into their dens, when blizzards roar out of the north and freezing rain crusts the land.  It's God's breath that forms the ice, it's God's breath that turns lakes and rivers solid.  And yes, it's God who fills clouds with rainwater and hurls lightning from them every which way.  He puts them through their paces--first this way, then that--commands them to do what he says all over the world.  Whether for discipline or grace or extravagant love, he makes sure they make their mark.  Job 37:2-3 (the message)


"Come now, let us argue this out," says the LORD. "No matter how deep the stain of your sins, I can remove it.  I can make you clean as freshly fallen snow.  Even if you are stained as red as crimson, I can make you as white as wool.  Isaiah 1:18 (NLT)

Purify me from my sins, and I will be clean; wash me and I will be whiter than snow.  Psalm 51:7 (NLT)

Praise the Lord from the earth, you great sea creatures and all ocean depths, lightning and hail, snow and clouds, stormy winds that do his bidding... Psalm 148:7-8 NIV


Happy Snow Days!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make me happy! :-)